Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Arrival of the "Holy Land Flyer" at Athens Railroad Depot around 1911

Another great photo from Bill Gough that is from his mother Eleanor (Corbin) Gough's photo album.
Comments from Bill ....Mom and the family went to Athens to take the Grand Trunk railroad from Athens to Battle Creek, and then switched trains to travel to my grandmother Ethel's home town, Durand, MI (just west of Flint). The Union City depot had trains that ran more east-west between Detroit and Chicago. I don't know how many folks in Union City or nearby that occasionally went to Athens to more conveniently connect to other parts of Michigan via train in the old days.

I don't know what the "Holy Land Flyer" was. The postcard was sent to my grandmother in Durand from my grandfather in Union City, probably around 1911. I can't read the postmark. 

No comments: