Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Congregational Church Events in early 1900's

Some more pictures sent to me by Bill Gough from Eleanor (Corbin) Gough's photo album.
Comments by Bill ....When I look at the following two pictures, I can't help but compare this to the recent festivities in Union City that I have seen via the Facebook page. What is there about the town that makes folks want to dress up in costumes?  Just kidding…
Comments by Bill Gough ....it looks like there has always been a lot of imagination in Union City. It's heart-warming to see pictures like these…in so many photos from the past, people look so serious. The first is, I'm reasonably certain, from the Congregational Church. Mom doesn't know the occasion, but I suspect this was a play that was put on by the members…and I would guess it was taken around 1910. My grandfather John Corbin is standing in the second row with a mustache and small goatee, 5th from the right. I think that is also my great aunt Betty Corbin (John's sister) sitting in the front row, 4th from the left, in the white dress. A lady holds a sign that says "Matrimony" on the left, along with a trumpet player, a railroad engineer, the ladies' social group, etc. Interesting. 

Comments by Bill Gough ....In the picture above, John Corbin is standing in the back row 4th from right. I don't know if either his siblings Byron or Betty or in the picture, but they could be. The room also looks interesting - obviously not in the church but where, I don't know. Mom cannot recall anything about this, but it was before her time. A bit exotic with the Chinese lanterns and the palm tree, and a few people in Asian garb. Again, I would guess from around 1910. Up to you and the rest of the town to fill in the blanks!

No comments: